Friday, February 11, 2011

Instant Teen: Just Add Nuts Volume 1

Instant Teen: Just Add Nuts volume 1 by Haruka Fukushima, 2004. Pages: 208. Source: Borrowed from library.


Meet Natsumi Kawashima, a homely fifth grader with a craving for curves of her own. One day, after eating a packet of mysterious pink nuts, her wish comes true and she is transformed into a beautiful, sexy woman! Now endowed with a mind for recess and a body for supermodel glitz and glamour, will Natsumi's newfound adulthood and sudden fawning admirers lead to happiness or heartbreak?

When I ordered Instant Teen: Just Add Nuts from my library, I had absolutely no idea what it was going to be about. So when I found out that the main character, Natsumi, was only in the fifth grade I almost didn't read it, but decided since I had it checked out I might as well give it a shot. I'm so glad I did because her crazy antics were just what I needed to lighten up my reading.

While the plot line is fairly (dare I say it...) predictable, I still found myself enjoying reading it none the less. I liked reading about Natsumi and Asuma and the trouble that she kept getting them into. It was as I said earlier a nice light read, but oh so easy to figure out how the whole series would play out without reading all the volumes.

My favorite scene in Instant Teen: Just Add Nuts would have to be when Natsumi finds out that Asuma had taken a picture of her and submitted it to a magazine for a contest. If I'm remembering right, I'm pretty sure she hit him.

While I can usually peg what I don't like in a manga, I don't have really any negative thoughts for this one. The artwork was nice and the story thoroughly entertaining. Though I am sad that my library doesn't have the other three volumes and even worse it's out of print.

Instant Teen: Just Add Nuts, volume 1 earns 4 out of 5 pineapples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read, and am working on replying, to all the comments y'all leave. All comments are moderated by me, so, if you don't see it automatically that's why.
Psst, there is no "Word Verification" on the comments. =)

Keep on being awesome!

linkwithen

Blog Widget by LinkWithin