About the author:
My first book in The Cleopatra's Legacy series, The Emerald Ring, will be published by Cedar Fort Books on May 14, 2013. It is a middle grade fantasy novel.
I am a member of the SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) and the PNWA (Pacific Northwest Writers Assoc.). I highly recommend joining either if you want to become a children's author or illustrator.
You can haunt Dorine White at-
Goodreads | Website | Twitter | FB |
1. Could you tell us a little about the heroine of The Emerald Ring, Sara? Do you think she'll be able to handle the wrenches that the ring will throw here way?
At first Sara is afraid of the ring. She already has a problem with nightmares, and when she begins having visions about Cleopatra, she really freaks out. But, as time goes on, she grows into her role as protector of the ring. She wants to be like her Grandmother and travel the world in search of adventure. As an eleven year old, she knows that won’t happen anytime soon, but the ring gives her the chance to be brave and have an adventure of her own.
2. Dorine, What made you want to write a MG story that blends modern day with the intrigue of Ancient Egypt?
I love fantasy and I love history. The chance to combine the two was impossible to pass up. Plus, I don’t know about you, but when I was a kid, Ancient Egypt fascinated me in school. Greek and Roman myths were okay, but there was something eerie and magical about Egypt.
3. Ooh, so excited that The Emerald Ring has, well, a magic ring. Speaking for your character, what do you think she'd say is the worst thing the ring is going to throw her way?
The worst thing is definitely her transformation into a cat. Sara doesn’t know what is happening to her and suffers great pain. She ends up in the hospital with a high fever and perplexed doctors. Cleopatra’s cat appears in a vision and helps Sara make it through. Luckily, the change only hurts the first time.
4. Why a ring from Cleopatra?
Cleopatra was known for her beauty and her tragic death. I thought it would be intriguing to combine the two in a mystery.
5. Since your book has some Egyptian mythology in it, what is your favorite Egyptian myth?
Probably the myths about death and the underworld. Mummies always were creepy to me, and the idea that servants and animals would sacrifice themselves as well so that the pharaoh would have his staff in the afterlife blew my mind. Plus, the weighing of souls and a big crocodile that would eat you if you were evil- yikes!
6. What are three of your favorite MG books that feature mythology?
Rick Riordan’s Kane Chronicles for Egypt. Again Riordan’s Percy Jackson for Greece and Rome, and for general myth and fables, The Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull.
7. The world has fallen to a robot invasion and only one heroine/hero can possibly save the day, who do you choose?
Have you ever read the Jack Blank series by Matt Myklusch? His main character Jack kicks robot butt!
Note: *Not yet, but it has been on my list of books I need to read*
8. Care to tell us about your writing cave (include picture if you want)?
I write in the living room at the family computer. The old clunky desktop.
9. Any upcoming projects that you can sure with us?
Right now I am working on book two in the Cleopatra’s Legacy series, The Ruby Pendant. It takes place in New Orleans and involves ghosts, voodoo and of course magic!
Thanks so much, Dorine, for stopping by!!! I must get my hands on the Jack Blank series because it sounds really good.
Twelve year old Sara Guadalupe Bogus spends the last few days of summer anticipating middle school and helping her Grandma Dora around the house. Her ordinary life turns upside down when she discovers an emerald ring once belonging to Cleopatra. Touching the ring sends a lightening like zap through her system, while putting the ring upon her finger causes it to stick like glue.
Now strange things are happening to Sara. She has troubling visions, can understand animals and learns to transform herself into an Egyptain cat. However, the worst thing is the strange man that shows up in town. He is hunting for the emerald ring, and will not stop until he acquires it. With the ring stuck on her finger, Sara has no choice. She can be hunted, or become the hunter.