Monday, June 29, 2015

All About Middle Grade Review: Tales from Shakespeare- Henry V


Tales from Shakespeare: Henry V (Retold in modern-day English) by Timothy Knapman, May 1, 2015. 48 pages. Published by QEB Publishing: Source: publisher.
Henry, newly crowned King of England, has decided he deserves to be king of France too... so war against France begins. What fate awaits Henry V and his people? Follow Henry's difficult journey in this dramatic tale of battle, triumph and loss. Combining modern-day English with stunning illustrations, QEB's Tales from Shakespeare bring the Bard's popular plays to life. Lively and easy-to-read, they are sure to capture your imagination!
First Sentence:
Prince Hal had always been a worry to his father-and to the rest of England.





First off, this was my first taste of Shakespeare's Henry V. So, while I really enjoyed reading it in modern-day English, I cannot tell you how it compared to the original. That being said, I still really enjoyed it because it was, well, so easy to follow because...well, I just did!!

Going in, I had no idea what Henry V was about since it is one of the plays by Shakespeare that I have, you guessed it, not read.  For me, Shakespeare and plays can be, well, hit and miss in the enjoyment area. Even so, I found myself enjoying reading a modern-day English retelling of one of his plays because it was such a light read and just a great way to introduce young, reluctant readers to a classic play without having the language go over their head.

I'm not sure if Henry V is supposed to be as funny as I found it...but I sure spent most of the book snickering. Of course, I've been known to find the weirdest things funny in a book.

Story-wise, I liked Henry V because it was interesting to watch Henry go from party-boy to shouldering the responsibilities of being King. Until he decided he needed to take over France. Goodness, you would think ruling one country would be enough of a hassle. It was really nice to see that included within the retelling were snippets of Shakespeare's original writing of the play. I thought it was great that young readers could read it in modern English and yet still see certain scenes the way they were originally written. Definitely a great way to capture their curiosity for one day reading the original.

As you've probably guesses, I really enjoy books that have good art within them. So, consider me pleasantly surprised when I discovered that Henry V was illustrated. I loved how well the illustrations suited the book and helped to bring the visual aspect of the book out.

Final Verdict: Henry V- I am pleasantly surprised to say that reading Shakespeare retold in modern-day English is not bad. I actually really enjoyed it.

Henry V earns

this book was received in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read, and am working on replying, to all the comments y'all leave. All comments are moderated by me, so, if you don't see it automatically that's why.
Psst, there is no "Word Verification" on the comments. =)

Keep on being awesome!

Are you a middle grade author, want your book to be spotlighted this year during the challenge on my blog? Than this post is just for you. All about Middle Grade Challenge

Sign up for the 2014 All about Middle Grade Reading Challenge.

linkwithen

Blog Widget by LinkWithin